One Secret to a Working Mom's Success: Keep Standing

Me, standing in Barbados Those of us who live our lives out loud on the internet subject ourselves to scrutiny. Some comment, "Nobody's life is perfect. These posts must be fake," Those making those comments might even be close to us because they "know our business" and they whisper and gossip and say, "she's so fake".  To those who may read my blog and make such comments, (the trolls) know that I hear you, see you, and completely disagree. 

Top Five Tips for Surviving a Cookout with a Toddler in the Country

We all enjoyed the day and we learned some lessons about how to survive a cookout with a toddler in the country.

  1. Bring reserves. Because you will likely encounter mud, animals and other fun things, bring an extra set of clothes for all.
  2. Bring the toddler some snacks. Not everyone prepares food with toddlers in mind. So, bring your own. My toddler actually slapped a plate of food out of my hands onto the floor after one bite.
  3. Grow eyes in the back of your head. Well meaning relatives will likely allow your toddler to do things that she's not allowed to do at home. It's all fun and games until somebody busts a lip.  By watching your kid at all times, you help ensure fun times for all and preserve relationships.
  4. Eat before you go. Watching your toddler and keeping up with her takes time and energy and you may not get a chance to eat. Also, chances are the people preparing the food did not have your vegan, low sodium, gluten free, high protein, low carb diet in mind. (I'm not quite that bad, but you get the point.)
  5. Relax. The country is not the city, but it is a great place to visit. As I have said before, I am high strung. However, I have learned that some of my daughter's favorite times involve her getting dirty and taking a few chances. She is a tough little girl and I have to let her grow up, under my eagle eye of course. Bath tubs and hand sanitizer were made for these types of days!
The Three of Us at the Sugar Camp

The Toddler Enjoying Fresh Molasses



Andre, the Toddler and the infamous Frog

Related Articles
 
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments