Easter Reminded Me of the Miracles That Are My Children

Greetings from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! Things have been busy. I am still a working mom of three, working full time who is trying to make a difference. I do a lot of things and try to be present so that I can learn from them. I share them on this blog so that we can learn together. Below are some thoughts, hacks, and/or lessons that I have learned from navigating my world. Below is a tale of my road to becoming the mother of three. It was a road filled with joys and disappointments. However, I wouldn't giving nothing for my journey now. Here's to embracing every step of the journey, even the painful ones, and embracing the lessons learned along the way.

Wednesday Words of Wisdom: I Wish I Were in Charlotte at The Democratic National Convention 2012

"Sometimes you you've got to miss the party to be a parent." -- Chatón T. Turner
 
Watching the Democratic National Convention reminds me of how much my life has changed.  No, I haven’t stopped wearing blue and started wearing red. Instead, it has hit me that I have become a mother.
Four years ago when senator Obama was running for president the election was the most important thing in my life. I volunteered countless hours. I phone banked. I knocked on doors. I worked parades and events.  I did my part and probably the part of a few good men and women. It was all that I could think about. And a victory was all I wanted for my birthday. And when the clocked tolled midnight on my birthday that year, November 5, 2008, President Obama was giving his victory speech and my wish came true. I immediately planned to attend the inauguration and I did.  The only thing that I regretted about that election year was not attending the Democratic National Convention in Denver. So, I vowed to attend the convention during the next campaign.
I was so looking forward to attending the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC this year. I lived in Charlotte for many years and consider it home. I also am honored to call the mayor and his wife and several influential people in Charlotte friends.  I even used to work at the same firm as Governor James B. Hunt and consider him to be a mentor.  I had missed Denver, but I was excited to experience the convention in my adopted hometown with my friends. And I knew that the parties would be insane!
Being a working mom has taught me to take nothing for granted.  And instead of being at the convention wearing my cute dresses, attending parties and catching up with my peeps, I am in Pittsburgh where I live now going to work, typing this blog post on my couch and watching Michelle Obama give her speech on television.  I’d like to say that I am happy about my choice, but at this moment, “I have lust in my heart.”  I am lusting after being at the convention HARD!
Even though I love being a mom, sometimes the responsibility of being a parent interferes with my plans!
Why am I at home instead of in Charlotte? I couldn’t get it together. As you have read, we have been going through a lot of changes.  We were without a car for nearly a month and are in the early weeks of a new childcare situation.  With all of these things happening the month before I was to leave I failed to get as connected as I needed to be for the convention.  And when it was decision time—time to buy a plane ticket—it didn’t feel right.  So, I trusted my instincts and didn’t buy a ticket. 

I was responsible, but being at home is not as much fun.  And I am jealous of those that are there in the mix.  So I am living vicariously through my friends who are there and I am at home watching the event on television, reading comments on Twitter, and reading newspaper articles. I am also I zealously Tweeting using the hastag #DNC2012!
Also after Michelle Obama gave her speech I stood up and pumped my fist like I was a member of the cast of the Jersey Shore. And I am certain that I will be proud of our president when he speaks.  Surprisingly, as much as I wish that I were there, I still think that I made the right decision.  Go figure?!

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Kisha Jaggers said…
I live here in NC and wish I was there too but being a mother has changed a lot for me too! Bill Clinton was amazing last night!! Tonight will be even better!

Have a great Thursday!

kjaggers.com

K Jaggers
Tonya said…
I can totally relate. I live in New Hampshire, and during the 2008 election, I had a one year old, a toddler, and two kids in grade school. I so wanted to see the candidates when they came through our state, and vowed I would come the next election cycle. Alas, I have not. Only got to see one candidate - Rick Santorum, whose right wing views do not thrill me. I tried to get tickets to Obama's rally this Friday in NH, but they were all given out by the time I called.

These choices we make are very difficult. However, I will say that we talk a lot about government here at home, I have had both conventions on television this year, so I hope that I'm instilling the importance of voting onto my children.

It may be a few years, but you will fulfill your dream of going to a convention!
Jeryn said…
My road dog who you all know as the blogger behind Chatons World is my sister. Since she is now a mommy, I am sitting in Atlanta watching the DNC on my new flatscreen from my couch. Having a new flat screen lessen the blow from not being in Charlotte and since I am recovering from a cold I think we made the best decision. There probably is a sister pair in Charlotte looking for what we already have, which is love beyond measure, great friends , and a lifetime of awesome memories.


I consider myself a reformed party girl. Now I know that instead of chasing the next big party, I should relax and let the fun find me.

Sounds like you found the fun in PA sister and I'm creating my little nest here in Atlanta!!! Let's make a Skype date at 10 to watch Obama!!! See you at the inauguration!!!

4 more years.
Thanks for your encouragement. I appreciate you all encouraging me and supporting my choice.

Jeryn, I miss my road dog! Feel better soon!!!