One Secret to a Working Mom's Success: Keep Standing

Me, standing in Barbados Those of us who live our lives out loud on the internet subject ourselves to scrutiny. Some comment, "Nobody's life is perfect. These posts must be fake," Those making those comments might even be close to us because they "know our business" and they whisper and gossip and say, "she's so fake".  To those who may read my blog and make such comments, (the trolls) know that I hear you, see you, and completely disagree. 

Mardi Gras, Working Mom Style!

mardi gras
mardi gras (Photo credit: patrix)
Today is Mardi Gras. That means that it is time to live it up because tomorrow is the beginning of the Lenten season. Lent is a time of reflection and sacrifice. In contrast, Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday is a time of gluttony and excess.
 
In my mind, I am in New Orleans on Bourbon Street celebrating the holiday by drinking hurricanes, eating po boys, and lifiting my top to earn beads from revelers.
 

Mardi Gras, Working Mom Style!

 
 
In reality, I am a working mom in Pittsburgh, Pa. I got up this morning early to wash dishes and make my daughter's lunch. It was just one big party!
 

I will be going to work today. Like most days it will be jam packed with meetings, challenging questions and problems that I will have to fix. At the end of the day, I'll likely enjoy a glass of red wine at dinner, but won't have a po boy because they're too high in carbs and calories and since I breast fed my daughter for an extended period of time lifting my top would not earn me any prizes...
 
Despite being caught in the rat race today instead of partying or attending a Mardi Gras parade, perhaps I'll still bring some of the Mardi Gras spirit to Pittsburgh. Maybe I'll wear some long beads to work and later the toddler and I will watch Umi Zoomi and do the crazy shake!

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments