Easter Reminded Me of the Miracles That Are My Children

Greetings from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! Things have been busy. I am still a working mom of three, working full time who is trying to make a difference. I do a lot of things and try to be present so that I can learn from them. I share them on this blog so that we can learn together. Below are some thoughts, hacks, and/or lessons that I have learned from navigating my world. Below is a tale of my road to becoming the mother of three. It was a road filled with joys and disappointments. However, I wouldn't giving nothing for my journey now. Here's to embracing every step of the journey, even the painful ones, and embracing the lessons learned along the way.

READING ON THE RUN: Articles of Interest to Moms and Working Women

Sheryl Sandberg
Sheryl Sandberg (Photo credit: jdlasica)




This week there have been a lot of articles in the news that discuss the challenges facing working moms. Also, a lot of journalists have been discussing Sheryl Sandberg's new book, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead. 

Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead


The book has been described as one journalist as, “A forthright, if often confused, meditation on sexism, the book has attracted more than its share of prepublication hostility from people resentful that a Silicon Valley überfemale worth $500 million would dare to address the problems of Everywoman. I don’t think anyone actually used the words “back to your palace, bitch,” but that’s been the tenor of the criticism, which has often come from women who had not done Sandberg the elementary courtesy of reading the book they claimed to hate.”

I am one of those who have not read the book. However, I don’t hate Sandberg. However, I do resent her suggestion that most women have failed to achieve her level of success because they didn’t work hard enough. Ms. Sandberg has achieved more academic, financial, and personal success than most people in the world, so if her logic follows there must be millions of underperforming men who have failed to “lean in” too. 

That being said, I am intrigued by her book and plan to read it. I am a sucker for books like this and plan to publish my own “how to succeed” book in the near future. While I hope to receive the media interest in my book that Ms. Sandberg has received, I hope that I am spared the vitriol…

Google List of Articles Related to Working Moms

Central Asia's Working Moms: 'I Took A Lot of Abuse'
The Atlantic
Now, 31-year-old Rafiyeva is a working mother herself, a full-time journalist in Baku with two small sons, 8-year-old Shakir and Amin, 3. Rafiyeva's day starts at 6 a.m., when she makes breakfast and cleans the family flat before sending Shakir to ...
See all stories on this topic »

The Atlantic
Sheryl Sandberg's Book Offers Little for Working Moms
Businessweek
Weirdly, she says she prefers the phrase “career-loving parent” to working mom. (Try that one out on your kids, and then duck!) Sandberg hardly mentions child care, an obstacle for women considering all-consuming leadership roles. And there's not a ...
See all stories on this topic »
Working Parents: Are You Twice the Dad or Half the Mom?
Forbes
As Judd puts it: “[Working mothers] feel that they're not living up to the standards their mothers set because there is now a cultural expectation/reality that they should/must work. As a result, they feel they are falling short or even “failing ...
See all stories on this topic »

Forbes
An Elitist Assault on Working Women?
Spiegel Online
Two high-profile working mothers in America claim they aren't setting off the 2013 version of the "mommy wars." But, in light of their recent actions, it's hard to view the perspectives of Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg and Yahoo's Marissa Mayer any other way.
See all stories on this topic »

Spiegel Online


 
A Traveling Working Mom's Rant | Liberating Working Moms
While I wouldn't say I travel a lot for work, I do tend to travel 5 or more times a year. I'd venture to say that's more than the average working mom. And even ...
liberatingworkingmoms.com/.../a-traveling-working-moms-ra...
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments